28 years old today: Did I live up to my own standards?


When I was a kid I had big dreams.  There was so much I wanted to accomplish in my life. I constantly mapped out what things I wanted and what life I wanted by the time I was 28 years old.


I know it sounds strange. Why 28?

Well, I remember when I was about 12 years old; I thought that I could not wait until I was 28. I considered 28 to be the ideal age. I know that most people can’t wait to be 18 and old enough to vote or smoke. Great number of people cannot wit to be 21 and be old enough to drink and party the right way.

I on the other hand (as I have been informed) am not normal. I have never been normal and I never will be normal. So it should be no surprise that I wanted to be 28.


My reasoning?

I thought that at 28 I would be in a good place in my life. I would be mature enough to love myself for who I am and have everything I have every wanted.

I would no longer be confused about who I am and mature enough to not think about what other people think about me.


I hoped that by 28 I would have a family of my own, a great paying job that I love (I always wanted to be a writer and assumed that paid a lot), an amazing husband, beautiful children, a great home and most importantly…I would be happy.

Well, today I am 28 years old.

And as I sit here and type this blog I realize that even at the age of 12 I was a FREAKING GENIUS! 

Ok so maybe not a genius, but I was definitely smart enough to understand myself so completely that I was able to see that by 28, I would be fully who I was meant to be.


I have only been 28 for a few hours and I am excited that I made it this far and I am looking forward to what the rest of the year has in store for me.

My predictions were spot on.

Everything that I predicted for my life has come true.

 I have 3 beautiful daughters, I am doing what I love for a living, I have 3 books published!  I have an amazing husband, I have a beautiful home, I get to do what I love and stay home with my children.

I know not everything is perfect. I still have issues (Just found out I have some cavities!!! YIKES!!).

But the important things are falling into place.  In my 28 years of existence I have grown so much. I am no longer a confused child but a strong and secure woman.


I acknowledge that I have come a long way and I am not ashamed to say that I had some help from family, friends (a therapist) to be the best me I can possibly be. I am comfortable in my own skin and secure with myself.

So, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!  And to celebrate I am going to get me some lobster a Red Lobster. See? I’m not hard to please!

Oh and by the way, I was wrong about one thing. Being a writer right now is not so high paying. I’m hoping in that regard, 30 will be my year.

Popular posts from this blog

The Erotic Housewife Checks IN: The Depression of a Writer

I is for...

C is for...